IN EDINBURGH:
Edinburgh Royal Mile
- Edinburgh Castle (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/edinburghcastlehighlights)
- Camera Obscura (http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/) (Did this with my nieces. Fun for a clear day.)
- The Real Mary King's Close (http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/) (I really recommend this!)
- Scottish Storytelling Center (http://www.scottishstorytellingcentre.co.uk/)
- Holyrood Palace (http://www.royal.gov.uk/OutPut/Page559.asp)
And lots of other things to stop and see along the Royal Mile. Castle is at one end and
Holyrood Palace is at the other. (http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/interest/placesofinterest.html).
Also, if you want to see the Castle, the Palace, and the Royal Yacht Britainna, it would be worthwhile to get the Royal Edinburgh Ticket (www.royaledinburghticket.co.uk), which is a 2-day pass that includes entrance to all three sites, plus travel on the tour buses.
Other Places/Things to do in Edinburgh
- Royal Yacht Britania (http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/)
- Royal Botanical Gardens (http://www.rbge.org.uk/)
- Walk up Calton Hill for an awesome view of the city. (http://www.edinburghguide.com/caltonhill)
- National Museum of Scotland (http://www.nms.ac.uk/nationalmuseumhomepage.aspx). There are a lot of other museums and galleries, many of which are free entry.
- Arthur's Seat and Salsbury Craigs (http://www.scottishsport.co.uk/walking/arthurseat.htm)
PLACES NEAR EDINBURGH
Linlithgow (http://www.linlithgow.com/) (short train ride)
I've not been here, but is someplace I'd really like to see, in particular, Linlithgow Palace
North Berwick (http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/north-berwick-trip.html) (short train ride)
Another place I haven't been to, but I've heard lots of good things. It has the Scottish Seabird Center and Tantallon Castle
St. Andrews (http://www.visit-standrews.co.uk/)
I haven't been to St. Andrews, but a friend of mine says it's her favorite place in Scotland. Supposed to be great if you like looking at architecture and old buildings.
I've also heard that Inverness isn't really that special. You're better off heading further west for prettier scenery. It might be worthwhile checking out Undiscovered Scotland's Driving Tours, even if you don't want to try to drive. It might give some ideas of where to go and what to see.
Here are some on-line resources for more information about Edinburgh and other places in Scotland.
- http://www.edinburgh.org
- http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk
- http://www.stuckonscotland.co.uk
- http://www.rampantscotland.com/
- http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
You might find these clickable map of interest:
- http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/properties_search_map-edinburgh-all.htm
- http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/properties/search_pic_map-pic.htm
- http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/index.html
- http://walking.visitscotland.com/
- http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/walking.html
- http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/
Western Islands
- Arisaig - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/arisaig/arisaig/index.html
- Silver Sands of Morar - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/morar/silversands/index.html
- Morar - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/morar/morar/index.html
- Mallaig - http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mallaig/mallaig/index.html
- Small Isles - http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/small-isles.html
Idea: http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/ and their guided walks: http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/walks.html
Also: http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/Jacobite_Home.cfm
Plockton ://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/plockton/plockton/index.html
Rannoch Moor Railway Station: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/rannoch/rannochstation/index.html
1 comment:
I SO want to visit Edinburgh some day! We almost did a house swap with a family there once, which fell through, but for a few weeks I got so excited about being there. I'll have to bookmark this list if I ever get the chance to go--what a great resource!
Post a Comment